You know it when you hear it
We all have a list of songs in our head that from first note we get this feeling and those feelings could be range from anything rage to chillin’ out. Maybe that feeling is a long lost memory of a significant time in your life. Regardless, all great songs have the best intros. Those first few measures are like climbing the initial hill of a roller coaster, so you better hold on for a good time. This month, let’s focus on…
Yes, that’s a pretty broad topic and that’s intentional! There are so many different directions to take! Take it as broad or focused as you want to.
Need some inspiration?
- Fellow Tableau Social Ambassador, Autumn Battani had this awesome community Twitter thread about the intro of songs and the #datafam delivered!
- We all know how popular “Wordle” is and music fans particularly enjoy #Heardle. It’s a copycat game of wordle but for music. You have 6 guess to guess a song based on just the first 15 seconds! And one Spotify user has been maintaining a running playlist of the featured song.
The best part?
Don’t let this topic stop your creativity. If you have an idea for a killer music viz, the best time to put it out there is NOW!
Some housekeeping items
Remember when I told you that I wanted this viz project to also incorporate APIs – this is a great opportunity to get your hands dirty and learn some coding. I’ll make it easier for you – check out my code that pulls song attributes from ANY Spotify playlist!
When you finish you viz:
- tag it with #DataPlusMusic on social media and/or Tableau Public
- Tag me (@HipsterVizNinja) and I’m sure Autumn (@aabattani) would love to see it too!
- Submit to the tracker (there may be some special surprises for those who fill out the tracker )